WCST is a Josephine County nonprofit whose mission is dedicated to ending domestic and sexual violence through intervention, prevention, education and safe shelter. Our core purpose is to educate the community in order to effect social change and empower individuals to make positive life choices. WCST has been a leader in providing community based domestic violence and sexual assault intervention services in Josephine County for more than 40 years and has evolved into one of the community's most active, recognized, and respected nonprofit organizations.
WCST programs include operation of the only 24/7 emergency safe shelter in Josephine County dedicated to providing safety and support for survivors of violence and their children. The Talsunne Safe House is a 12-bed shelter operated in a confidential residential location in Josephine County. WCST is currently seeking a professional, committed, compassionate individual to serve as our Tasunne Safe Shelter Coordinator providing oversight for all aspects of WCST's Shelter Program including day-to-day operation of Talsunne Safe House.
Organization: Women's Crisis Support Team
Job Title: Talsunne Safe Shelter Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Job Specifics: This is a full-time, exempt lead position, 8 am - 5 pm, Monday through Friday; additional shifts, backup shifts and after hours crisis response required.
Wage/Benefits: Competitive Salary + benefits (health insurance, life insurance, 403(b), PTO)
Required: Applicants must live in Josephine County and must be able to respond within twenty (20) minutes to Talsunne Safe Shelter, Three Rivers Community Hospital, Grants Pass Public Safety and Josephine County Sheriff requests for in-person advocacy.
WCST values and celebrates a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
The Talsunne Safe Shelter Coordinator is a lead position responsible for supervising direct reports within the Shelter Department ensuring appropriate scheduling and control of the daily working arrangements of the shelter to produce quality work. The Talsunne Safe Shelter Coordinator is also responsible for direct client services, shelter program development, planning and management, general shelter maintenance, statistical reporting and participation in grant writing, grant administration and reporting. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Create a solid vision for the shelter program and services, and implement best-practice, trauma-informed, culturally
responsive programs and policies to promote positive outcomes for shelter residents
• Coordinate shelter staff duties by providing guidance and training regarding work responsibilities
• Ensure shelter staff and volunteers provide high quality, fair, culturally responsive, accessible services to survivors of abuse;
similarly ensuring the agency mission and philosophy and policies are followed
• Assist in monitoring and evaluating job performance of shelter advocates and volunteers
• Answer the 24/7 crisis line and provide phone advocacy on rotation basis with rest of the Intervention Team
• Provide direct services to clients including crisis intervention, advocacy-based counseling, legal and medical advocacy,
information and referrals, safety planning, and other supportive services
• Work with public and private systems to advocate for the best interest of survivors
• Facilitate shelter staff meetings and other trainings
• Respond as necessary to situations that arise at the shelter
• Adhere to scope of work and reporting requirements of the grant funding specific to shelter activities
• Insure Talsunne Safe Shelter facilities are kept in safe and working condition, conduct weekly shelter walkthrough and follow
up on maintenance requests
• Actively consider costs (time, money and materials) when performing essential duties
• Diligently fill out paperwork on all client and agency services provided, enter data as required by funders, and compile reports
as requested by Executive Director
• Appropriately manage confidential information and implement best practice strategies to improve systemic confidentiality
within the organization
• Promote volunteer opportunities and recruitment
• Attend all required staff meetings
• Represent agency in various community groups
• Provide presentations on agency services and on issues of DV or SA to community groups
• Assist with and participate in agency events including outreach and educational activities
• Respond after hours to requests for emergency in-person advocacy for survivors of domestic violence or sexual assault on a
rotation basis with rest of Intervention Team
• Perform other duties as assigned
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• AA/BA with emphasis in crisis intervention or 3 or more years of experience in DV/SA victim assistance work
• Be a certified advocate, or qualify for certification
• Successful completion of Women's Crisis Support Team 40+ hour advocacy training program (may be completed after hire)
• Knowledge and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and underserved communities
• Bilingual (English-Spanish) and/or Bicultural preferred
• Knowledge and understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence, sexual assault and the impact on adult and child
• Knowledge of community advocacy, peer counseling, and agency networking.
• Demonstrated ability to remain calm, make sound decisions, give clear direction and provide strong leadership in crisis
• Must have excellent judgment, communication and strong interpersonal skills. Must be well organized, creative, empathetic
and people oriented
• Capable of making informed, independent decisions on behalf of survivors served on a regular basis
• Capable of creative problem-solving in overcoming barriers for the survivors we serve and helping them develop alternatives
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google+ (email, calendar, docs)
• Must have transportation, current insurance coverage, and a valid driver's license. Background check and DMV Driving
Record review required
The Talsunne Safe Shelter Coordinator is charged with general cleanliness and maintenance of Talsunne Safe Shelter and property. Some lifting of up to 50 lbs. is required.
The Talsunne Safe Shelter Coordinator is a primary connector with other service agencies in the community, developing an understanding of all programs, their restrictions and entry points, and advocating with their staff for services to clients.
The Talsunne Safe Shelter Coordinator is required to provide requested training on domestic violence and associated issues to agency partners, WCST staff and volunteers, and to shelter residents. This position may be called on to provide volunteer training presentations and serve as a mentor for volunteers who are shadowing office procedures or crisis response.
Because of the complex nature of the work of WCST, the Talsunne Safe Shelter Coordinator may be asked to fill in for the duties of an absent or sick staff member when appropriate.
Position Open Until Filled
No phone calls please.
compensation: competitive salary + benefits (health insurance, life insurance, 403(b), PTO)
employment type: full-time
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com